Saturday, August 24, 2013

1st week in the hood

Thinks he's numero uno
Well we have been back in Cuenca a whole week now and as per my last post it has been a busy week. Especially so as our congo is in the middle of remodeling the Salon del Reino so of course Mark has been down there everyday doing really long days so I don't see him all that much at the moment. Not so bad really cause I had a relapse of the cold I had in NZ before we left and have taken to my bed - hopefully I am on the mend now.


Aaron gives the orders


Before I got sick though - we did a kiwi meal for the brothers on the construction team (if you remember from a post way back - they have a team that goes to each build or remodel - I think there is 12 in this team) - bacon and egg pie was on the menu, mashed potatoes and salad - of course we had to provide rice as well or they would have thought their throats were cut - so strange seeing that on the plate with mashed potatoes.
Enjoying his first taste of bacon and egg pie

I am loving this new area we are living in - the kids made a good choice - it is so close to everything - even the fresh food market which is 5 minutes walk away, perfect when you look in the fridge and don't see any vegetables for dinner. I forgot how cheap things are as well (having gotten used to the exorbitant prices in NZ) - bananas 50cents a big bunch, rockmelon 80 cents, watermelon $1.50, brocolli 3 for $1 - love it!! 



3 comments:

catherine said...

Keep up the good work Beth. I am missing you guys though. Love you all lots xx

Marisa said...

Is that top photo of the area you're living in? Looks beautiful! More photos please. :)

Elizabeth in Ecuador (de nuevo) said...

Marisa :
That river runs right through Cuenca and that particular spot is about 10 minutes away by bus from our house. Pretty aye?