|Needless to say - dinner was ruined!|
Saturday, May 7, 2011
Can't sleep so time to update the blog with the comings and goings of the last few days.
First off - we were out witnessing this afternoon and I was nearly rendered speechless by one guy we met in a shop - he said he was an atheist! Now while that is not anything new back home in NZ - he is the first guy I have ever had here in Ecuador tell me that! With the population being 95% Catholic - and as I have said before - the Ecuadorian Catholics really do have a respect for the bible - they pretty much always listen to you and let you read a scripture or two - so this guy really threw me for a loop! Anyway we had a nice chat, trying to make some headway until he had a customer come in which put an end to that. The next place I talked at - the woman said " I'm Catholic" so I surprised her by saying how good it was to meet someone who believed in God! Was able to have a long talk with her and left her with some food for thought.
Some of you long time readers of this blog may remember my experience of the gas oven blowing up in my face - way back when all was exciting and new. I have had a healthy respect for gas ever since but the other day, I had a little reminder of just how dangerous gas can be. I had just stepped out of the kitchen (thankfully) when there was an almighty boom and I rushed back in to see flames leaping up the wall and glass everywhere. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and couldn't get it to work and was in a right panic. Mark was out walking the dogs so I screamed over the telephone for him to come back as quick a possible as the flames were getting higher. I have never been so scared in all my life, I can tell you. He came hurtling back and saved the day of course and thankfully the damage is minimal, it really could have been so much worse. In case you are wondering - it wasn't anything I was cooking that made it explode - it was a leak that had occurred in the pipe at the back and the reason I couldn't get the extinguisher to work, was because it was empty! I am just so thankful that I or anyone else, including the dogs, were not anywhere near it when the glass cover exploded!