Friday, May 23, 2008

A day in the life of a new needgreater


6.30-7am Depending on what time the alarm goes off (that is the car revving next door) we awake - maybe not really ready to face the new day but ready to give it a go!
Over breakfast after the days text and DBR - its cramming for conversations starteds in spanish before we head out the door for the group between 8 and quarter past. The longest walk to the group is on Tuesday - it´s about 25-30 minutes. The group starts at 8.30 and we walk everyday to it except Saturday cause that is up the hill and we take the bus (believe me - it´s a necessity).
When you arrive at the group - you do the rounds - kissing and shaking hands with everyone - the same thing happens when you leave - you do the rounds again. We have found that you only need to say Buenos Dias and Como Estas (which is how are you)- they don´t want to know anymore cause they have already moved on to kissing the next person.
After getting paired with whatever poor sucker assigned to us for the day - we trudge off to the territory (if its a good day we may get a ride either by car, taxi or truck, with as many people crammed in as possible)Then for the next 3 hours or so - it´s full on consentration, either trying talk to our partners or trying to talk to householders.
By 12ish we are on the way home, either by bus or by tired foot. When we get home one of us will make lunch depending on who´s tirest (usually that´s me - what a good husband I have). Takes awhile to get moving after lunch - sometimes the bed or couch just calls out to us so loudly and we have to obey it´s voice - as you can see by the picture above. The rest of the afternoon is taken up with cramming for whatever meeting it is next. The BS or WT is the easiest of course because we have the english version to compare but the MS or SM take quite awhile to prepare for.
Dinner is usually around 6ish and consists of pretty much the same food as what we would eat in NZ. If I try to roast vegetables though - I always seem to burn them as I am still not used to cooking with gas. I always get a little nerveous approaching the oven to light it too(as you will remember from previous blogs) - hopefully I will get over that soon.
So then at 7.oopm we take ourselves off to the ¨Reunion¨as the 2 weekly meetins start at 7.30 or at 6.oopm for the Saturday PT and WT at 6.30.
Pretty much that is the norm - Monday is a little differnet as we don´t go out winessing but do all the house stuff which includes the shopping- that is a bit of a chore without a car, I must say. We head to the supermarket by bus and load up on supplies then we jump in a taxi for home. Have to ask the taxi drivers first before accepting their service cause the price ranges from $2 to one guy who tried to sting us $4. We beat him down to $3 though - we may look like a soft touch but we are hardening up). Just on a side note - I thought I got stared at because I was a gringo but the CO tells me that it´s more likely that they think I am a rich Cuecan. Apparently I fit in more here than Mark - looks wise. So when on the Bus - they are wondering what on earth a rich Cuencan is doing taking a bus.
If I am in the mood - I will change the furniture around. New country - same old habits. Have to say the interlocking lounge suite is a good idea for someone like me. I have even changed the curtains around - it´s a problem I have - I Know. I wonder if there is a self help group for my issues - maybe it could be called Changaholics or something.
10pm-11pm Our day ends. By the time we fall into bed again our feet are nearly falling off and our heads are spinning but we are mostly satisfied with our day. Life is treating us pretty well at the moment.

3 comments:

planetblu said...

We really enjoyed hearing about your daily schedule. We'd love to ask you a few more questions off line by email so if you have time to drop us an email that would be great - but only if you have time we'll understand if you can't! I've put our email below in a format to avoid spam but you'll see what I mean. Thanks,
Rodney & Karen -
rodzoz {at} yahoo {dot} com {dot} au

catherine said...

The weight must be falling off you. You will be pleased you dont have to pay $2/lt for petrol. Keep up the good work.

The Kinlocher's said...

you poor old things! Glad that you are thoroughly enjoying yourselves, even though its wearing you out!By the way in NZ they would call you something else!