Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Oh dear - this language thing is destroying my confidence!

Well yesterday we both came home from service with a light heart cause everything had gone well. With me making an arrangement to call back on a man with a bible for him. Then the meeting was good cause we had done the correct amount of preparation and we were able to understand nearly all of it. Even the CO´s talk (which he is easy to listen to because he speaks slow and my mind needs slow). So we thought - hey we are getting this - it´s all good.
Then this morning everything went to pieces with me placing mags with a lady in a shop and then saying I would return sometime. She was happy with that and I came away feeling pretty good. Then my partner told me I had said to her that she talks too much! Maybe she won´t want to see me again afterall!
I went to see the man from yesterday and totally blew it but he took the bible happily. I got on the bus for home feeling a little low. There were heaps of people on the bus so I had to stand for awhile. I looked around and a grubby old man was patting the seat beside him - beckoning me to come and sit. Thankfully another seat opened up right then so I took that one. By now everyone was staring at me including the lady in the next seat so I thought I might as well give them more to talk about me and pulled out a mag for her. We got into quite a conversation so once again I was happy. When I got off the bus, low and behold so did the grubby old man and he was still eying me up so I gave him a mag too (that´ll teach him). So on the way home,feeling ok with myself - one of my neighbours came along - she asked me if I had been to church so I told her no and pulled out another mag. She wanted to talk some more but of course - I folded! What am I to do - it is so frustrating!

4 comments:

The Kinlocher's said...

oh dear- but it can only get better....hopefully

The Kinlocher's said...

message from mum - one day you will start thinking in spanish so all will be right.
On the bright side at least your mags placements are going up!
Keep on trucking and smiling - just watch out for grubby old men!

catherine said...

Hang in there it can only get better. There are grubby old men everywhere and also people who want to learn about Jehovah. I love checking your blog so keep up the good work x x x

The Scottys said...

I've been SLACK, but now Im BACK!!
Beth you think you have language problems!
My simple understanding of maori is no better. A woman at the park asked me where the wharepaku is? Der I thought she meant a place somewhere in tauranga, all she wanted was the women toilets of course she eventually had to ask me in english. Make it worst I asked terry does he know what the wharepaku us, he answered the toilet. So don't me disappointed my sister, you are doing great things just by being there acts 5:41. Jehovah blessings are rich provs 10:22 im sure you will be blessed with a student who speaks english and spanish.
Loved the video hey Beth you are looking good from behind, must be all that walking aye?
It was gr8 to hear Mark's voice!
look forward to reading more of your blog.
Arohanui
Alicexxx