Thursday, January 5, 2012

Room with a view - not!

So how do you like the view I have and will have for the next 15 days? Great aye? I just get myself all better from the last back incident and now look what I have done to myself! I was coming down the stairs the other night and slipped on the last one and bang - really thought I had broken my foot as there was so much pain but turns out it is  badly sprained. Going to the Emergency room was an experience - of course it is in Manta (an hour north of here) and it certainly wasn't on a par with Cuenca  hospitals. We were ushered into a room straight away - which was a good thing as I didn't have time really to look around and evaluate. The doctor came and poked and prodded my foot, and of course decided the best course of action was to x-ray it. Then he sends in a nurse with an injection for me - bear in mind that still no particulars had been taken down about me - not even my name! I guess they just  trust that I wouldn't be allergic to the medicine. Anyway the radiographer was going to be about an hour so while we were waiting, we were able to take in the surroundings. Thankfully they had an air conditioner - it was dripping into a bucket that had overflowed before we left. Blood from the last patient was still on the table and bloody sheets thrown into the shower. Nice! I'm just glad that the injection she gave me did come out of a sealed packet, because I have heard of stories with them reusing syringes! EEK! Talking of injections - I have to have 2 more shots (we brought them along with the pain medication, I was prescribed) and so I have been doing research for Mark this morning on how to give injections. I am extremely worried about that too as you can imagine. He is all excited at the prospect though!

We get home eventually and poor old Mark had to carry me up the never ending stairs of this place, first time he had ever got to carry me over the threshold. I was so worried he would hurt himself but  he seems to be alright. And so now I am cast here on the bed looking at the blank wall in front of me. Such a shame because downstairs there is a big screen tv wanting some attention. Would be nice if it was on my wall aye?

So if anyone has some quick fire ways of getting back on your feet after an injury like this or any tips on giving someone a painless injection - please share - I will be very grateful!

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

hi guys, i had to learn to give jay his injections when he had bronchitis in ecuador, so the trick is, assuming you are going to inject it on your bum, aim for the upper outer quarter, and you will be sweet. holding/pinching the flesh a bit while injecting it seems to help the pain a bit too :) hope you feel better soon :) love reading your blogs xx jay and cheryl

catherine said...

Just remember as I said wriggle your toes. it gives you something to think about while the jab is in process.

The Kinlocher's said...

Can't you take the bed mattress down to the tv room? Are the owners about to arrive?

Elizabeth in Ecuador (de nuevo) said...

Haha!Did you not read, Ann, that Mark nearly killed himself getting me ua the stairs in the first place! So while your idea is a good one - I don't think Mark would survive taking me down there and back up everyday!
Thanks Catherine and Cheryl for the tips!

Marisa said...

You poor thing! Hope you've got lots of DVDs to watch on your laptop. xxx

sally said...

Does your shot have to be given into the muscle? I get B-12 injections my husband gives me and it all depends on how sharp the needle is. I get mine in the arm. Measure 4 fingers down from the bone you feel at the shoulder. The needle should be about 1". I don't mind them at all.

Rebecca McCleskey said...

I'm so sorry you are laid up...no fun at all. Mark and I both hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jill said...

Hi Beth, sorry to hear about the mishap. Have you read the yearbook yet? Reading the section on Rwanda should take your mind off any pain you might be feeling. Be prepared to cry though!!

Hope you're back on your feet again soon.

- Jill

Elizabeth in Ecuador (de nuevo) said...

Thanks for the reminder Jill about the 2012 year book. Not that we have it yet to read - but you reminded me I could download it and listen to it! Loved the Letter from the Governing Body and yes I have cried already (not even up to Rwanda yet). Some of our brothers and sisters sure are going through some terrible stuff - how fortunate we are to know that it is all a sign of the times and it won't be forever.