Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Day Of Firsts






Well today we went out in the field for the first time and that meant getting on a bus first to meet the group and then we were sent further up the hill by truck. The sister wanted me to get into the cab but I was having none of that and got in the back with Mark and 5 others. It was hilarious! We both had to talk at the doors - Mark went with a young feller who is learning English at school so they got along ok. He placed 4 mags. I went with a sister who has been a JW for 4 years and speaks no English. She had to step in at every door I did because while it is ok to have a presentation ready - you don´t understand what the HH is saying back to you! Great to be out though.




Then we made our way back into town and finally picked up a lounge suite. It is the ugliest thing you have ever seen (actually that is not true - we have seen uglier here) but it was cheap. Another first I bargained with the lady except I didn´t know I was. She said it was $480 and I was trying to tell her we only had $430 with us. She then said $450 so as we had found some more money we said ¨Bueno¨. It is a bit of a mission trying to work out what they are saying regarding delivery so we just say ¨si¨si ¨ and it usually works out.



Then to the meeting and our first comments in the WT. In one paragraph there was an experience of the sis in NZ and the conducter called on me to say what the work was like in NZ. I had to say the first thing that come into my head which was ¨mucho personas es apatica¨(they are apathetic) It was a little nerve wracking thankfully the gringo family were behind us and they helped me a bit. However Mark answered all on his own so that is cool.

There are many sights to see here including everywhere you look there is food cooking on the street eg: whole pigs! It is usually all gone by the end of the day. No we haven´t tried it yet (and maybe never will). Also Mark found the Guinea Pigs in the supermarket the other day and they are skinned and gutted ready for you to cook. I couldn´t really look at them and the shop assistants were laughing at me.

7 comments:

catherine said...

You look so happy looks like you are having fun great to see the bag I gave you being used. great to see the smiling faces of the sisters.

The Kinlocher's said...

yuk Guinea Pig I wouldn't fancy them myself - but who knows you might get it served up for tea when you get invited to one of the friends houses for tea!!!! Nice to hear your voice this morning. take good care
love from us

Elizabeth in Ecuador (de nuevo) said...

Hey - apparently guinea pig is such a delicacy they are not going to waste it on unappreciative gringos.

The Kinlocher's said...

perhaps you should try it . . . just once for the experience of it!

Marisa said...

Sounds like you're having an awesome time and fitting in just fine. You'll be completely fluent before you know it. :)

The Scottys said...

Hey the guinea pig sounds a lot more civilised than our huhu grubs!!!!
The both of you look great we love the sound of your adventure.
Sounds like a place for us!!!
Arohanui

mykrv said...

Hi there folks
I just got back from rural witnessing. Spent the last two nights at the extremity of our territory (100kms from here)
Had a good day with one of the elders from our cong. we came across two different people one we spent over an hour with and the other we were there for two hours. Left a Bible Teach book with him and demonstrated how we study. Hopefully it will develope into a study. Only problem is it is so far away. We will go back within a month.
I hope you fullas are having a good time over there.