Friday, April 18, 2008

On the Buses



Hope you can see this - its the lady with the baby on back and toddler on front.




Thought I would tell you about the bus rides we take.


By taxi the journey into town takes approx 20 minutes. If we go by bus (an we almost always do cuse it only costs 25cents per person, the taxi ride is at least $2.50-and we are cheapskates) it can take up to 45 minutes. It stops and starts often. People just wave out if they want to get on and the bus stops. On the ride into town yesterday I counted 35 times it stopped sometimes with about 5 seconds in betweeen. Of course that means a lurch forward and backward each time the driver changes gear. Sometimes if they are behind schedule they go hell for leather and if you want on - you have to run - jump for it and then hold tight. They don´t give you time to find you seat or grab a rail. A ¨conductor¨comes to get your money - usually a poorly dressed individual with extremly dirty hands. You have to watch them too cause they will come back with your change - if you are lucky. One guy tried to stiff me 50cents but that day Chad was with us and he put up a fight for us. The guy said I gave him a 50 coin but I was adamant that I gave him a $1 note - (sounds real mean of us but he would have pocketed the 50cents and that means another bus ride to us)


Now you might thing you have the route sussed but sure as eggs it will go another way and you will get completely lost. The reason it will change directions is maybe the street may have roadworks or as in the case of yesterday a paint shop had gone up in flames in the middle of the city and all was choas. The good thing about getting lost is you can always hail a cab (they are everywhere) and they will take you wherever you need to go for a buck or two depending how far away you are from point B.


The ride home last night was another experience entirely - more and more people were getting in (thankfully we had seats but still some ladies were just about sitting on my lap)until there was no more room. In fact some kids were standing on the step by the door and everytime it opened (while it was moving) I was sure they would fall out.Scary!


The picture at the top is of a tradionally dressed woman who got on with a baby strapped to her back and a toddle on her front. She squeezed in the one seat left by the window and the baby was sandwiched between her and the seat. Everytime the bus lurched the baby´s head banged on the back of the seat - didn´t cry though - must be used to it.


I have to say disinfecting the hands straight away is muy importante! There are some sights to see on the bus I can tell you.


Talking of sights - the bus is a great way to see the city - everyride is an adventure and is very interesting so I don´t really mid it at all - as long as I have a seat!

5 comments:

planetblu said...

The bus ride sounds quite an experience! Thanks for the photos too. We were just wondering, how many congs are there in Cuenca?

Rodney & Karen
AU

Elizabeth in Ecuador (de nuevo) said...

Hi Rodney and Karen
There are 26 I believe. We are having a circuit assembly in May and hopefully by then we will know the language a little better so we can find those things out properly.
Cuenca is great - you will love the experience so much to look at. Witnessing this morning - what an experience - you have to just go with the flow.xx to you

The Kinlocher's said...

This is a message from Mum. Nice to have your experience on the buses. They charge you here in NZ if we let the kids head bang too often!
Still enjoying the pendant you gave me. Talked with Michael and he has now got the blogsite address. Sukanya has gone to Thailand to build a house.

The Scottys said...

We look forward always & get excited to reading your experiences and its encouraging to see that children are so advance spiritually, will take a leaf from that experience for maddy.

Thanks for watching out for me guys, briefly yes I got that job, it was fulltime with the great perks materially. BUT... it meant that it was going to interfere with family and spirutal advancement in the ministry..
after talking with terry and prayer to jehovah I turned the job down. BUT WAIT THERES MORE..Sulking after 2 days I wondered if I made the right decision! Guess what I got 2 jobs offer. I have the dream hours and finacial worth in one of my health programmes. The manager loved my proposal and is sorting out funding on this programme will be up and running in a months time. Meanwhile I am working with a couple around the corner from us on personal training for 12 weeks, wow it rocks. Also I am working on another project.proverbs 10:22
Thank goodness jehovah chose you as precious gems haggai 2:7, as much as we miss you we know you are doing great things elsewhere whole souled to jehovah.
Is there an address where we can write to you both??
Love from us here at Matua.
Arohanui xox

The Scottys said...

Here is our updated blog