Sunday, July 13, 2008

I shoulda gone out like I was supposed to!

I have had a bit of a disturbing day. I had planned a day off cause of all the walking we have been doing in the mud and sent Mark off to the group by himself. After a leisurely long hot shower I popped the kettle on the stove (yep remember the devil-gas thingy we have) and was going to set myself up with a movie to watch when a knock came at the gate. It was 2 young witness boys working this territory (they are in the next congo) so I of course went out to say hello and let them know it was us living here. Next minute - bang went the front door - locking me out of the house! Here I was in my slippers and sweats stuck in my front yard until Mark came home! Oh well I thought - I will get a magazine off the boys and practice my reading which I did and sat down on my doorstep, thankful that it was a nice day and not raining. Then I remembered the kettle - still boiling away on the stove. For the next hour and a half I could do nothing but wait and watch through the window and worry that I was about to burn down the house. Finally at 12 Mark saunted up the hill - of course when I spotted him I yelled at him to run - a mean thing to do to someone who had just walked the equivalent of walking over the Kaimai's! There was a lot of stink in the house and the kettle was ruined but hey - everything else was in tack - except my pride of course!
Tomorrow we go to get an extra key cut for hiding in the front yard and also another cellphone - which we have been meaning to do of course but not gotten around to yet.

4 comments:

The Scottys said...

WHAT is it with you both with keys and doors, don't worry beth I have been there before!
The fact I should have gone out field service with Terry,
My chilled day out didn't turn out so MERRY!
That EVIL gas oven certainly has it in for you, mine is only electric I have the same problem too!
But you beat me hands down with the slippers & sweat trackies, im sure the 2 brothers wouldn't think your Wacky??
Anxiety watching the kettle boiling must have been a scary sight,at the end of it all things turned out alright!
Mark sounded like ya knight in shining armor, running to you to make things Calmer!
Its a laugh and joy reading about your life in spanishland,
The encouraging experiences and trials helps you and us stay strong to Jehovahs PLANS!
A spare key and another mobile is a great idea, no more comments its time to say SEE YA!
AROHANUIxxxxxx

planetblu said...

Oh dear!

Which cell company did you go with? Prepaid?

The Kinlocher's said...

oh Beth what a pain! By the time you come back to nz you will have got everything sorted from the keys(spares inside and out) to the gas stove including the mud, territory assignors, umbrellas, guinea pigs as well as barking dogs!Well maybe not the dogs. But as long as you come back with plenty of memories and i guess locking yourself out of the house is just another one of those! Am sure once you got back into the house (and sorted with regard the stove)you saw the funny side of the events of the day. Keep on trucking - or in youyr case walking!love from us

Elizabeth in Ecuador (de nuevo) said...

Plantblu - there are 2 different companies to use (yes prepay) Moviestar or Porta - we have moviestar and you have to use all the minutes up within a month or they expire!
Ann - yep I did see the funny side in the end but it was a pretty stressful time.
Alice - I've called Mark lots of things in my time but not a knight in shining armor! I guess it's better than calling him a stinking llama! (only rhyme I could think of - slack eh)